Thank you for your interest in our service trip. Before we continue I will state things very candidly and I may offend you but I need you to truly grasp what you are signing up for. This trip is NOT a vacation. You will get dirty, be with a group in close, cramp quarters. Must travel light, on the go, flexible and keep temperament in checks. You will meet people along our journey who travel for difference reasons: some travel for reasons that you may not agree with. You need to constantly exam your privileges in cultural context and be willing to immerse yourself beyond your comfort zone while finding your sense of balance, ethics while constantly examining your privileges, assumptions & biases.
Our annual 2-3 week service trip is planned for late December 20/22 through January 14/15 of 2017. This trip will cost $3,000 per person. A $2000 non-refundable deposit is required by July 31, 2016 and the remaining amount is due Oct 31st prior to departure. Fee includes: airfare, lodging, most meals, in-country transportation and some expedition (Angkor Wat, S21, bamboo train, Killing Fields, etc.).
We are looking for volunteers who want to immerse in a journey unscripted. We take only 6-6 volunteers per trip. We are seeking volunteers who are flexible, mild-tempered, easy-going and willing to listen, ready to jump right in and get their hands dirty, willing to see and experience the world as it is. This is NOT a vacation; this is WORK with the INTENTION of creating meaningful, reflective relationships. There is an interview process to be selected for this program.
1) Absolutely NO suitcases are allowed on this trip. You must use a frame pack or backpack. Travel light and travel quick!
2) All natural soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, toothpaste, sunblock, etc., will be provided. Please leave your personal hygiene items home–they pollute the environment, and we do not want to contribute toxins to our center.
3) You must keep a daily journal.
4) We do everything as a group. Everyone participates in nightly debriefings.
5) If you are taking medications or have allergens, please let us know.
6) Be FLEXIBLE!
7) Will take the Intercultural Development Inventory assessment pre and post trip.
And most importantly – just take it all in, smile and be in the moment of the travel and traveling. I will be in contact with you shortly. I look forward to having a conversation with you.
Tentative Service Trip Schedule
Dec 20, Depart MSP
Dec 22, Arrive Cambodia
Dec 24, Arrive Singha Village
Week 1 -Teaching
Week 1 – weekend field trip to Battambong
Week 2 -Teaching
Week 2 – weekend field trip (Sihanoukville)
Week 3 – teaching
Short week 3- GCP traveler to Siem Reap, Floating village, back to PNH and depart for home.